The Salvestrin Family Legacy began when Italian immigrants John and Emma Salvestrin fell in love with St. Helena while visiting friends in the early 1920s. In 1932 they purchased a portion of the historic Crane Ranch, including the Victorian home of Dr. Crane. With the repeal of prohibition in 1933, they started selling grapes as the wine industry began to grow again. Ed Salvestrin, who grew up on the family vineyard, continued to grow quality grapes through the 60s, 70s and 80s preserving the family legacy for future generations. He still lives on site and frequently tends to his fruit trees (apples, pomegranates, grapefruit, persimmon) when he’s not helping out in the vineyard. In 1987, Rich Salvestrin completed his degree in viticulture from Fresno State University. He returned to the family vineyard to help farm and also to expand the family’s grape-growing business to include winemaking. 1994 was the inaugural vintage of Salvestrin Cabernet Sauvignon and in 2001 the estate winery was constructed amongst the family vines. Today, the fourth-generation Salvestrin girls are growing up in the family vineyard.
The vineyard we farm is more than a business—it is our home. We aim to sustainably grow winegrapes so that the land may be preserved for our daughters and future generations. Our practices, both in the vineyard and winery, focus upon being environmentally and socially responsible.The vineyard at Salvestrin has been farmed sustainably for over eighty years. Holistic guidelines have been utilized since 2006. Fruit trees planted around the property provide a habitat for beneficial insects. Nutrient composts and cover crops increase the biodiversity of the soil and improve tilth. Soil cultivation in the spring aids in achieving vine balance and decreases the need for irrigation. The vineyard at Salvestrin is certified Napa Green with for both Winery and Vineyard and has fish friendly farming practices.